In a world filled with infinite information, how do we achieve mindshare?
Visual communications. Designers seek to create clarity in their communications so viewers will accurately interpret the intended message. We work to guide the viewer’s eyes to where we want them to go. If the visual elements are all fighting for attention, there is a good chance we will lose our viewer.
Through a thoughtful placement of elements we establish a visual hierarchy to direct the viewer’s eyes. The goal is always to attract and gain mindshare.
How do we achieve this?
• appropriate color schemes
• grid-based layouts for coherency in presenting information
• type orientation for optimal reading
• visual cues
• a hierarchy of information with drill down for additional detail
• spatial relationships of all objects
All to move the viewer through a piece to facilitate the absorption of information while focusing on the central message and its intended action.
Surprisingly, this is standard for any print or web visual communication. Doesn’t visual communications seem easy?